Monday, January 24, 2011

teaching henry.

The other day was a doozy, my friends. Hendrix started the morning by taking the jar of peaches I'd set out for his breakfast and spilling them all over the kitchen floor. He followed this amazing act by taking the Cream of Wheat out of the lazy susan and "measuring it" for me.

We are in a "new" phase. Henry is getting into everything BUT his toys lately. It's been infuriating, to be quite honest. It feels like every time I turn around, I have a mess to clean up. Even now, he's taking books of our bookshelf. So, here's what I'm doing. I'm starting to teach Henry:

When he makes a mess, he helps me clean it up. When he drives me nuts, I BREATHE and say, "Let's take care of this, together." So far? Henry thinks it's all part of the game. Really, I'm just raising Hendo to be his own person, to take responsibility. That feels pretty good.

3 comments:

  1. Amen, Sister. You're a responsible human being!
    ... And your Mom skills are pretty awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE YOU, Henry is so going to have a happy life growing with you. Ain't mothering grand, best job I ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Linden!

    & I love you, MOM!!!!!

    ReplyDelete