Wednesday, January 19, 2011

getting rid of the temptation

So far, my quest to not buy anything new in the new year? Off to a rocky start. :-/

I haven't purchased anything for myself, but I did run to the store for a quick present for my sister-in-law's birthday. I then proceeded to go into Old Navy and buy for my dad and my sister's birthdays (Granted, I had a gift certificate, but-- ahem-- still spent over).

Anyway, on the way home from these stores, I felt great! I had gotten some awesome deals, and bought things I knew everyone would love! However, very little thought was put into them, and WASN'T THIS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO AVOID?

Grrrr... I'm not going to beat myself up about my slip up. This year is about finding myself and correcting the mistakes I've been making. ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY, you know!? Right?

& So, I did something today to help myself in this journey. I unsubscribed from the emails from my favorite stores. Here were the heavy hitters:

Bye, Bye, Gap!:

See ya' later, Victoria Secret:

Oh, this was BY FAR the hardest... I love you forever, Target:

Today, I'm working on our budget for 2011. I really do want to succeed in breaking my love of buying this year. I want us to start SAVING (what a novel concept!), and I want to spend money on things that enrich our lives, not just things that make me feel good for a little while. While it might not be something I can do in a day, I know I can do it.

2 comments:

  1. wth! I commented on this post and I think your blog hates me. Anyhow, way to go deleting your subscriptions. If/when the day comes that you have financial freedom and crazy amounts of wealth, they'll welcome you back with open arms :)

    Baby steps, but steps in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so with you on this. For all of our sakes, this is my year for ending the ridiculous love of stuff before I pass it onto my children. It is time to simplify and get fulfillment elsewhere other than the Target checkout line (although I do love Target). 2001 = no more consumerism for the Kunz household!

    ReplyDelete