Thursday, April 14, 2011

how does your garden grow?

I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace


We planted our garden about a week before the last frost came in. The early morning of the frost, my father-in-law sprinkled the whole garden, encasing all the plants in a thin layer of ice. The ice melted and all of the plants survived. Now, we've got a whole garden filled with growing, green, beautiful plants.
Eric and I have grown tomatoes before, but a growing a garden this size was always a dream. My father-in-law is the real champion of the project, and he's so proud of each milestone, calling me out to see different plants as they've sprouted. He loves taking Henry around and telling him which plants are which. It's been so fun for all of us to watch Henry learn that food isn't bought on a shelf, but grown in the ground.


Yesterday, we harvested peas. Hendrix has been eating them up like candy. The broccoli and tomatoes are almost ready, and the lettuce is so pretty I'm tempted to pick it before it's time. I'm so excited to be starting this tradition with our little family. Watching this garden grow, and eating food that I've had a hand is growing is intoxicating, inspiring and really tasty.

What about you? Are you growing a garden? Do you have any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment