Tuesday, March 1, 2011

my little sister.



My little sister was born two years after me. She was sucked out of the world by a vacuum, because I think she preferred hanging out in a small quiet place. Or, maybe she just didn't want to start getting beat up by me.

That day, I gained the best friend I could ever ask for. Bethany holds all of my secrets, my worst and best memories and all of my heart. She is honest, generous and kind. She is never afraid to tell me the truth, and she has my best interests at heart. She challenges me to be a better version of myself.

Right now, Booper is in the Peace Corps serving in Moldova. Words can't begin to describe how proud I am of her. She is working to get hand washing stations installed in her school and medical center. She speaks Romanian now, fluently. She looks over her shoulder and translates whole paragraphs effortlessly to her host parents, who smile at her and love her with their whole hearts.

When Bethany told me she was applying for the Peace Corps, part of me thought she was joking. A small part of me thought she wouldn't carry through with it. I don't know if I could have. She lives alone, speaking a different language, eating foreign food and living a life without Diet Coke. :) My little sister, who was scared to go to Homecoming alone, is now inspiring full classrooms of students, and no doubt saving lives with her service. She flies back into Chicago in June. Eric and I are planning our trip now so that I can meet her at her gate with the biggest hug. My little sister, my hero.

Bethany, when she has time, will be blogging here.

No comments:

Post a Comment