Friday, March 11, 2011

marriage.




Yeah, that's my husband. He's hot. There's no two ways about it. He is a STONE FOX.

I saw Eric my first day of college (note: SAW, not MET). He was in an English class with me (one that he dropped the same day). And when he walked through the room, EVERY INCH OF ME melted. Seriously, it was just like in the movies. Time stopped. I can remember exactly where I was sitting, what he was wearing, the light in the room... Here is a picture of Eric at around 18. You'll see what I mean:

RIGHT? YUMMY. That day, Eric captured my heart. He did. I'm not even trying to be crazy about this, it's the truth. Up until we started dating, I only had eyes for Eric. All of my friends knew him as "My Mystery Man." I pranked called his dorm room, stared at him throughout every shared dinner in the cafeteria and asked every friend of his for Eric's info.

I bought my first Radiohead album, because I'd heard they were his favorite. I heard he liked "nice girls;" so, I tried to be nicer. Mostly, I was just in love with him.

I've been in love with Eric from the minute I laid eyes on him. Our story is a long one. A good one, but a long one. The short of it is, I'm a lucky woman.



Eric and I are very different people. I'm loud; he's quiet. I'm an optimist; he's a pessimist. I'm a buyer; he's a saver. I'm a doer; he's a thinker. On paper, we're complete opposites, but we work. We compliment each other.
We also fight like HELL. :) Something we both have in common is a stubborn streak a mile long. We both usually think we're right. It makes for some killer "conversations". Before we had Henry, our fights would sometimes result in me getting in the car and leaving, slamming the door behind me...

Henry has added a new dimension of stress to our relationship. However, he's also brought us closer together. We always worked at our marriage, trying to be fairer fighters, better partners. But Henry has made every fight, every disagreement, every unkind word seem paramount. We work as a team, constantly evaluating our relationship and working to be the best parents and examples to Henry.

It's hard work, but we both are passionate about setting a positive model of a loving relationship for Henry. That's why, when we first moved down here to Texas, we saw a THERAPIST. I feel like it's so taboo to admit that. I wish that wasn't true. The truth is, we just found ourselves in need of direction. We love each other so much; we love Henry so much, and it became clear that we had started unhealthy patterns that needed to be fixed.

Our time "on the couch" was so beneficial. We only went to 3 sessions, but in the interim time, we applied everything she suggested we look at. We read books, filled out surveys, but mostly we TALKED. TALKED. TALKED. We apologized for past wrongs, made promises for our future, and we grew. Eric and I are now more conscious of our attitudes, words and each others feelings. We are more aware.

I've come a long way since my time as a stalker. But the truth is, that boy who made my heart melt when I first laid eyes on him still gives me butterflies. Though our relationship started just like the movies, we are real people, with real issues, who work every day to be good to one another, and to our perfect baby boy. Thank God Eric is so good looking. He makes even the tough days seem easy.

What about you? What is your love story? How do you "keep the love alive?" Any tricks of the trade?

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Kel!

    Being married is seriously the hardest thing ever. Jimmyredhed is so good to me, really, and set the stage for such a healthy marriage. We don't yell at each other, we have never called each other names, and we apologize for everything immediately. We often find ourselves saying, "Did you seriously just say that? Can you please apologize?" It works very well for us.

    Our lifesaver that we recommend to everyone is instituting the "5 Minute Rule." Inevitably you say some pretty dumbass things, some things you don't even know are jerky until they're out of your mouth. So we have five seconds to take it back! It's brought so much humor and lightheartedness into our relationship and makes us laugh on a daily basis -- there are so many things that we no longer take seriously because of it! You should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelli! I love that idea! Stealing it for SURE.

    I always say, marriage is the hardest job I've ever had, but boy is it the MOST REWARDING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must meet this Eric some day. I love learning about your story, it gives me hope for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I met my husband at a bookstore. He's the smartest man I've ever known.

    I would say we keep the love alive by not letting the little things get to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy, you will love him!!! As soon as my little man gets better, we'll have to have you and your man over for dinner!

    Lovely One, How romantic! What section were you in? & not letting the little things get to you is so true.

    ReplyDelete