Wednesday, February 9, 2011

we are all meant to shine, as children do.



Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”-- Marianne Williamson

It's probably semi-emo to put up that quote in association with these pictures, but I kept coming back to those words as I looked at these pictures, so why not?

I've been thinking a lot lately about how easily I become "dark." I have no problem complaining. Most days, my first reaction to stress is anger. I often have no patience at all for Henry's "curiosity." And I have a real problem speaking negatively about people. I can really be a "Debbie Downer"

You know what? I hate that. I hate that it is so much easier to be a lesser version of myself than the better one. I hate that I don't have an unending stream of grace and good will. I hate the thought of passing on a negative image of myself to Henry.

That thought is what helps me to stop and reflect. Every day, I see this little human soaking in the world and all it has to offer, unafraid. Henry trusts the world I create for him. If I'm happy, he's happy. If I go into something negatively, he feels that. It's the oddest thing. I can actually feel him mimic my mood. That is both terrifying and empowering. Hen makes me want to be the best version of myself, for him. If I am going to create his world view, don't I want him to see the world as beautiful and full? Don't I want him to be open and loving instead of closed and afraid? Of course.

He deserves that.


4 comments:

  1. and so do you, baby!
    love you so much. we're only human - don't be too hard on yourself. it's good for hendo to see you unafraid to express yourself, no matter what the feeling. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That brought a tear (or three) to my eyes. I love that quote, I've never heard it before.

    It's so easy to get bogged down by life, but you do have so much to influence. You passion for life influences your friends and family-I feel quite inspired by your sweet spirit in our small amount of contact the last few months.

    Every day is fresh with no mistakes in it...yet. While a bummer attitude doesn't rank high on the mistake list, I applaud you for reflecting!

    p.s. me+you+mil = happiness. cya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Girl...you are amazing and I feel so lucky to have met you.

    We all go through tough times...but you have such a little blessing that you get to spend time with...soak up every minute!

    I am bummed that I won't be joining you guys tomorrow night...but maybe next week we can all get together again?

    Can't wait to see you again!

    Janna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Word. Thanks for the reminder about how important our parenting really is!

    ReplyDelete