Thursday, February 17, 2011

2011 Resolution Check- in

Honestly? So far, so good. I've slipped up here and there, but I literally went into Target last week and came out with only food. That's right people. The unthinkable happened. I didn't buy anything, not even the adorable shirt I saw on sale for 5 bucks. I walked right on by.

Here, however, are some of the deals I've gotten at the ole' Goodwill:

These brand new DKNY jeans? 6.99... Also, they make my butt look amazing, if I do say so myself.

This basket? 4.99. I needed something big enough to corral all of Hendrix's stuffed animals, and this baby is PERFECT. I'm toying (pun intended) with the idea of spray painting it a fun color...

This Melissa and Doug puzzle? 1.99 ! :)

This Fossil purse? 4.99... I LOVE IT!!!!!

I've really been having fun shopping around for things we need/ want. It's also felt great to walk through a store and PUT SOMETHING BACK ON THE SHELF when I realize that I'm about to buy something new.

Some other stuff we're doing. Eric and I have started travelling to the RED BOX. Yes, we're a bit late to this obsession, but we've been eating in more (another way we're tightening our belt). So, after dinner, we put Henry to bed and reward ourselves with a flick. Both of these guys were pretty great by the way!


I'm selling some of Hen's old baby clothes on consignment. I drop the stuff off and as it sells, I can come in and either cash out my earnings or use them for a store discounted rate. SO AWESOME.



At the end of the day, I'm TRYING. I really am. I know that my "need to spend" is something that comes from a silly place, a place that is insecure and disillusioned about what really matters in life. It's something I know my resolution is helping me to take a hard look at. I was talking to my little sister, and she told me there was someone on Oprah who bought NOTHING for a year except food. They didn't see a movie, didn't even get a hair cut! What I'm doing is small potatoes compared to that, but it's a step in the right direction.

So, what direction are you headed? How have you tightened (or loosened) the belt this year? Could you go a year without spending?

5 comments:

  1. You are right...your butt does look hot!

    Will you be back by next Tuesday?

    I hope you are having fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great deals!!! I visited my very first consignment store a few weeks ago--I didn't know that's how they work!! You actually get residual money when your stuff sells?

    I'm a noob. Hope you're having an awesome vacation, and I think you're doing really great with your resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I could go a year without spending...I don't have that much self control. Having a toddler who isn't very interested in sitting in a chair to eat his food (wants to run around double fisting his grub) has made us eat out a LOT less often. Thanks for that, bumkin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janna, THANK YOU!!!!! :) Looking forward to seeing you soon!

    Amy, I didn't know they worked that way either! Someone suggested I try it, and I think it's such a great idea!

    BOWER FAM: You are so right about the toddler in a restaurant. & I don't think I have that much self control either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are killing it on your resolution. Good job!

    ReplyDelete