Wednesday, December 29, 2010

american girl


You might not have been me. You might have circled a toy in a catalogue and actually GOTTEN IT for Christmas. But me? I spent a lot of time circling and dreaming, knowing full well I would most likely not get the toy. I know that sounds ridiculously sad, like I was in some way jilted of a perfect childhood, or neglected in some way. I wasn't. I was an extremely loved and blessed little girl. But... BUT, I was a loved and blessed little girl WITHOUT an American Girl doll, and thus, I was MISERABLE.

I cannot tell you how much I loved the American Girl Doll catalogue. I FAWNED over each page and accessory. I folded over the corners, took it in the bathroom while I pooped, and even slept with it underneath my pillow. I wanted an American Girl doll more than I wanted world peace, more than my sister, more than a puppy. And you know what? I never got one. NEVER.

Specifically? I wanted Molly. MOLLY, with her adorable braids, her cute glasses, her curious expression, and her flirtation with activism. Molly was ME. I was MOLLY. Without her, I was a nerd without a friend. I was alone in the world.

WELL YOU KNOW WHAT? I'M NOT ALONE ANYMORE:


My mom is seriously the greatest. She not only got me my DREAM PRESENT, but she got almost every accessory. I cried like a little girl when I opened it. She remembered. I know for years my mom has felt guilty about not being able to get me the doll when I was little. I hope she can forgive herself now, because I think the 26 year old me will take much better care of this insanely priced toy than the 10 year old me.

Now onto some real stuff: How do I display her without being weird? Also, how much is too much to spend on her chifforobe/ bed?

2 comments:

  1. This is such a sweet gift. No ideas on how to display her, sorry. Cool of your mama to do this, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's the best. So far, the doll is sitting on the top of my dresser next to my jewelry boxlike I'm a five year old.

    ReplyDelete