Tuesday, November 9, 2010

feminism and motherhood.

I want to write about Erica Jong's essay questioning modern motherhood. In Jong's defense, I think it is a conversation that needs to happen. I loved this response to her essay. We, as women, need to question our roles at home and at work. The fact that the conversation feels so polarized is unfortunate. There are women on either side of the fence (work vs. home), but I really feel most of us are somewhere in the middle.

I wish feminism was more about celebrating choice instead of shunning her choice because it is not mine. There is such a ridiculous competitive game that mothers play. Working mothers get defensive and talk about how they would be so bored if they had to be a stay at home mom. SAHMs get pretentious and talk about how empty they'd feel at work. Realistically, isn't this an individual preference? Why do we need to put someone else's choice down in oder to validate our own?

At the end of the day, raising children is hard work. Each family has to make tough decisions when it comes to childcare and parenting. Sadly, more often than not, our decisions are made for us by things like lack of funds or a broken support system. As feminists, shouldn't we be supporting our sisters instead of judging them?

Now, I better unload the dishwasher, put these folded clothes away and take off this apron; I have a baby to cuddle.

3 comments:

  1. Kelly, have you ever seen "Mona Lisa Smile"? A lot of that movie really beautifully shows what you've said here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting article. The bit about cloth diapers, making baby food, and breast feeding sorta shocked me because I do all those things and work but I don't feel like anyone (or society as a whole) has made me feel pressured into doing those things.

    Have you read this? http://www.slate.com/id/2274721/ It made me chuckle because I actually LOVE vacuuming. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joy, I LOVE THAT MOVIE. I might have to revisit it. The last time I watched it, I wasn't a mom. I'm sure it will mean a lot more to me now.

    Julie, I know what you mean! I naturally gravitated towards all those things, because of the way I was raised by my mama. It was only after I had Henry that I realized my parenting beliefs were a part of a national hysteria!

    & I love vacuuming as well! I'd recommend reading "Bluebird" by Ariel Gore. She does a great job of commenting about the peace that is found in ritualistic housework. :)

    THANKS FOR THE COMMENTS, LADIES!

    ReplyDelete